The prototype design for the Thinking Huts is an octagon shaped structure which will allow units to be added together to create ample space for students. Each Hut will be equipped with technologies to assist the education of students. The first prototype will be designed and constructed very much like a traditional structure, the notable difference is that we will have adopted the 'WikiHouse' philosophy of small components that can be assembled by a team of two without sophisticated construction skills or tools. Solar powered batteries systems will support lighting, laptops and internet access. As we advance in our designs, we hope to use 3-D manufacturing processes which would minimize transportation logistics and incorporate more recycled materials. Long-term goals include communications technologies that will connect the Huts that are geographically dispersed, creating greater educational opportunities as well as providing access to a program for further study at traditional universities.
Thinking Huts Projects have several distinct phases, including:
- Design is the first phase where our design team continues to innovate on previous designs and lessons learned from the previously deployed Huts.
- Location Research is driven by the real world needs as the starting point, but then research is required to assess local issues surrounding environmental, security and volunteer conditions at the intended site to assure a successful installation and utilization.
- Fabrication takes place after the Design and Location Research have fed into the Hut any needed adjustments or improvement. This phase moves the Huts from the drawing board to the manufacturing floor.
- Logistics come into play once the Hut has been fabricated and 'test assembled' at the manufacturing site. Our projected supply chain will include partnerships to source materials, print parts, and create jobs with the local community's interests in mind.
- Infrastructure is key to the long-term success of the community where the Hut is deployed. This include a commitment of continued support from the local volunteers and the linking of Huts around the world together to encourage advanced education.